- CEILING LIGHTS
- WALL LIGHTS
- OUTDOOR LIGHTING
- HOME ACCENTS
It all seems so simple. Pick a contractor. Select a color and style of E. P. Henry paving stone, and continue enjoying your summer while the works begins on your patio. However, to make sure there are no surprises and that you will love your new outdoor space forever, follow these tips to designing a well-thought-out paving stone patio.
1.) Do your research. Find the best hardscaping manufacturer with the best warranty and reputation in your region. For the Northeast, that is E. P. Henry. EP Henry provides a Lifetime Warranty on the structural integrity of our paving stones and wall systems for residential use. At no cost to you, EP Henry will replace paving stones and wall system products whose structural integrity is found to be defective under normal use, only if properly installed according to EP Henry standards and guidelines.* Terms and conditions apply.
2.) Purchase through a reputable, long-standing company that you can depend on – for their service and their knowledge. Angersteins, family-owned and operated since 1924, is the most experienced and respected hardscaping supplier in the area.
3.) Visualize your outdoor space and collect pictures. Not everyone is good at visulaization, so here are several things you can do to …………
a) Write your ideas on paper. It does not have to be pretty, but making it two-dimensional helps you see the big picture.
b) Cut out pictures from magazines.
c) Print pictures for websites specializing in patio design such as www.ephenry.com, www.houzz.com
d) Visit displays at the store from which you are purchasing your materials. Many have the colors, styles and features – walls, stairs, firepits, kitchens, water fountains and more – so you can see it before you buy it.EP Henry _ Wilmington, DE
e) Ask your contractor if he or she has a previous customer that will allow you to look at their completed project. If the homeowner is there, it will be the perfect time to ask about the contractor’s work and professionalism.
f) Check out what your neighbors have done in their back yards. Call them and ask if they don’t mind if you stop by for ideas. Please don’t sneak around and peak through the trees without their permission.
g) Contractor’s brag books can show numerous layouts and creative ideas
h) If you don’t have the time or inclination to go it on your own, hire a designer. They can visualize!
4.) Select the “floor” pattern for your patio. To select a pattern, again, work with your style. Refer to the patterns available such as herringbone, modified herringbone, 45 degree herringbone, I-pattern, random, soldiered, running bond and more. The EP Henry catalog has all of these styles pictured. You can find even more on their website. Consider scale when selecting your pattern too. For most patios, from 10ft by 12ft up to 20ft by 30ft, you can successfully use any brick-sized, 6×6, 6×9, or similarly sized paver. For really large patios, the homeown needs to consider using paving stones with larger stones in the mix, such as Coventry and Devonstone.
5.) Pick an aesthetic or style. This can be another tough thing to do. When we cut out all those pictures we love, they might not work for our style home. Make sure to pick an element from your home and repeat in the patio. Most of us do this with color. If the home is red brick, often we use Autumn Blend pavers because there is a beautiful red in the paver, as well as browns and beiges. Or for cream stucco homes, many homeowners select Dakota Blend, a neutral blend of khakis and brown. But what about the style of the pavers. Today there is a bountiful selection. Here a few from EP Henry and some direction towards home style:
- French Country – use a paver that looks as old and beautifully worn as the streets of Paris, like Coventry II. Distressed on the edges as well as the surface, this gives the appearance of age and gracious living.
- Modern – many modern homes are of sleek and simple design, which lends itself well to a more vibrant pattern for the patio. For a modern, retro vibe, consider using Symmetry pavers that have a parquet-like pattern.
- Cape Cod – for the traditional American home, try the traditional paver, Coventry I, with a little distressing on the edges.
- Ecclectic – the sky is the limit, try mixing different paver styles. However, staying with the same color-family will keep your patio style harmonious.
- Arts & Crafts – this type of home would look wonderful with the large, Devonstone pavers, which mimic the look of slate and bluestone, but they are less maintanence and more affordable.
6.) Measure your space. This way you will begin to prioritize your needs versus your wants. Using graph paper is great, if you have the time and the patience. Also, a trick of the trade is to purchase a can of orange spray paint, and actually mark (on the grass) the shape and size of your patio.
7.) Select the features you need.
Here’s a list to work from:
- a.) Consider privacy when locating the patio
- b.) How does the traffic flow to the other areas outdoor – pathways, steps, entrances to your home, to the shed with your gardening tools, where the kids play so you can keep an eye on them, etc.
- c.) How many people do you need to accommodate
- d.) Place to dine
- e.) Place to sit or lounge
- f.) Will you be entertaining
- g.) Will you be cooking outside
- h.) Do you need shade
- i.) Do you want all spaces on one level or more
- j.) Lighting – traditional, low-voltage landscape or LED
- k.) Walls
- l.) Planter Boxes
7.) Features You Want:
Here’s a list to work from:
- a.) Patio furniture that’s fun, functional cool. Instead of all stationary chairs, add swivel and/or gliding chairs at the head of the table, or for all of them
- -A fun round sofa or loveseat that encourages coversation and coziness
- -Sectionals are really popular right now, and seat more people then a traditional sofa
- -Check out the Orbit Lounger, a round chaise with two head rests that raise and meet in the middle
- - Ottomans that act as storage
- -Several small ottomans – instead of one large one - look really cool, and are more flexible
- -Look for an outdoor console table to hold plates, napkins, utensils, etc.
- -Add a bar – the one at Angerstein’s is made of recycled milk jugs (good for environment), comes in a rainbow of colors (fun) and is as sturdy as an ox (practical)
- -A cabana with sun shade, Skyline has some of the most creative ones we’ve seen! Available through Angersteins, www.skylinedesign.com.
- -A beverage cooler allows you to have drinks handy for your guests, no more back-and-forth trips to the refrigerator inside
- b.) Fireplace
- c.) Firepit, gas or wood
- d.) Water feature
- e.) Outdoor kitchen with refrigerators, ice makers, kegerators, sinks, bar caddies, blenders, doors, cabinets and more
- f.) Pizza oven
- g.) Pergolas & Arbors – We have a great selection in store!
The sky is the limit when it comes to Outdoor Living. So the one rule you should always abide by is do what you love. Enjoy being outside!
Join us May 4th from 10-11am for our EP Henry seminar where we’ll show you how to install a paving stone patio. We’ll build it in our parking lot, and tell you all of the tips and techniques to make your project run smoothly. We’ll demonstrate with a wide range of equipment and tools all of which we sell or rent at our store.
Immediately following the seminar, join us inside in our Lighting Center and learn how to light your new paving stone with beautiful landscape lighting.
Lighting your entry area, don’t just concentrate on the inside lighting. The lighting outside your entry area, as well as the way the inside light is seen from outside your home, combine to create your home’s welcoming appeal. Be sure to direct some of the outside light downward to illuminate walking paths. And once inside, provide some overhead light to eliminate unwelcoming shadows.
Some favorite chandeliers from Currey & Co:
Keep in mind that light that shines upward or directly toward people’s eyes can create uncomfortable glare. Sooner or later, some of your guests will visit the powder room. Everyone feels better when they like what they see in the mirror, so choose light bulbs that flatter skin tones. And fixtures with an unexpected pop of texture and pattern can turn an otherwise ordinary space into an interesting private retreat.
In the living area, whether enjoying family time or entertaining, proper lighting makes every activity more enjoyable and aesthetically pleasing. An important element to a perfectly lit living area is proportion. Add the number of feet in your room’s length, width and height. That number (in feet) should be approximately the same as the number of inches of your light fixture’s height. Also, that fixture should hang 78-84 inches from the floor (as measured from the bottom of the fixture).
Favorite chandeliers from Crystorama:
Our favorite picks from Troy! Shop our website or showroom. Tax free and free shipping over $50.
If you are remodeling or building a new home and wish to find unique home decorating ideas and products, you’ll find an exciting array at Angersteins Design Center! You will also find some great ideas to update your office or workplace. Our selection of chandeliers, fans, table and floor lamps, outdoor lighting, pendants, bath lighting, prints, mirrors, fireplaces, patio furniture and grills will help make your home comfortable and inviting.
Whether it’s a fireplace, a shower door or an entire house of lights, let Angerstein’s staff provide the expertise for all of your interior and exterior home improvements.
Amazing new arrivals in the store and on line.
Visual Comforts now for sale on our site!
Home fashion bids a warm welcome to matte golds, which are richer and far more refined than their tacky, brassy relatives. Like the jewelry that inspires many of its forms and finishes, it pairs particularly well with gem tones.
Broche in Matte Gold is a jewelry-like creation from Crystorama that invites interpretation by homeowners. Reminiscent of sunbursts and sunflowers, it is designed for both ceiling and sconce mountings.
Pantone Color of the Year!
Currey & Co.’s eight-light Goddess chandelier is shown with Green glass on a wrought-iron frame that’s finished in Cupertino. It measures 49 inches tall and 30 inches in diameter.
Currey & Co.’s Chic table lamp is made of brass with a gold brilliance. It stands 32 inches tall with a 10-inch diameter.
Inspired by the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, Schonbek’s basket-style Amytis is alive with floral motifs and jewel-like details. It is available in five seasonal crystal and finish combinations. Made with Swarovski Elements.
source: lighting trends
Lighting trends are creative and fun for Spring. Pendant lighting designs are available in all shapes, colors and styles. Perfect for large and small home interiors, and great for adding a focal point to your kitchen, dining or living room.
Modern pendant lighting design offers industrial chic bright colors and unique textures and patterns. Hang several lights side-by-side a few feet apart or arrange them at staggered lengths for informal interior design. Let our design team help with your lighting needs.
Enticed by the sprawling find @phillydotcom. Sissy & Jack Harris weren’t looking to move – but they couldn’t resist the renovated split-level featured in philly.com. Angersteins Design Center helped them choose new lighting and patio furniture.
Cyrus champagne gold mirror
Feiss Argento 1-light sconces around mirror
Bath & Dressing Room:
Feiss Abbey semi-flush lights
Amerock Abernathy 1″ Satin Nickel cabinet knobs
Rocky Mountain Hardware Quatrfoil 1.5″ and 1.7″ cabinet hardware in white bronze brass
Visual Comforts Boston Library sconces
Craftmade Grant ceiling fan
Summer Classics St Croix chaises, swivel rockers and end tables, with cushions
SHOWROOM SAMPLE SALE
WE ARE MAKING ROOM FOR SPRING ARRIVALS!
SAVE ON CRYSTAL CHANDELIERS, LAMPS & MORE!
SAVE 15% off the ROSE COLLECTION
from SCHONBEK $500-800
SCHONBEK TIMBREL – SAVE 15% OFF $948
IDEAL IN A POWDER ROOM or BEDROOM
SAVE up to 50% Accessories!
SHOP OUR BARELY DAMAGED WAREHOUSE!
lots of amazing deals!
NEW SPRING ARRIVALS IN THE DESIGN SHOWROOM
tax free & free shipping over $50
COW HIDE RETURNS THIS SPRING
PERFECT ACCENT FOR ANY ROOM $329
Read more about
PALU END TABLE IN ENGRAVED ALUMINUM $399
GREAT AS SINGLE TABLE OR PUT SEVERAL
TOGETHER TO MAKE A STATEMENT
PALU END TABLE WITH LEGS – $399
ONE STOP SHOPPING!
RECENT PROJECTS: ANGERSTEINS
Kitchen pendant lights by Kichler Topiaries on mantel by K&K
Summer Classics outdoor furniture in the Rustic collection.
The Rustic collection is on display at Angerstein’s in the weathered gray finish.
Shown here in walnut is a sofa and two slipper chairs with Sunbrella fabric in Papaya.
Bronze and Stainless Steel patio heater
Fanamation Belleria outdoor ceiling fans with Antique Woven Bamboo in all-weather composite
Currey Oval Scroll iron chandelier with 5″ linen drum shades